ATTENTION: this service has been DISMISSED! For more information contact CMCC
OCEAN-SAR is a service provided to support maritime authorities and operational centers during search-and-rescue operations. Using OCEAN-SAR to simulate the possible trajectories of persons or objects lost at sea allows a better prioritisation of the search areas and increases the chance of a successful rescue.
OCEAN-SAR is based on the Leeway model. More information about the algorithms behind OCEAN-SAR can be found in the following publications:
- Allen, A A, 2005: Leeway divergence, Technical Report CG-D-05-05, US Coast Guard Research and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road, Groton, CT, USA
- Allen, A A and JV Plourde, 1999: Review of Leeway: Field Experiments and Implementation, Technical Report CG-D-08-99, US Coast Guard Research and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road, Groton, CT, USA
- Breivik, Ø and A A Allen, 2008: "An Operational Search and Rescue Model for the Norwegian Sea and the North Sea", J. Marine Sys., 69(1-2), 99-113 arxiv.org/pdf/1111.1102v1.pdf
- Elena Y. Shchekinova, Yogesh Kumkar & Giovanni Coppini: "Numerical reconstruction of trajectory of small-size surface drifter in the Mediterranean sea", Ocean Dynamics (2016) 66:153–161 DOI 10.1007/s10236-015-0916-9
Given a user-defined position and time of an accident, OCEAN-SAR uses the leeway object parameterisation and the uncertainties on the input parameters to perform a stochastic simulation of a large set of sea drifter trajectories. For the simulation of wind and sea currents, it can use historical data, short term forecasts (1-5 days) as well as long-term predictions. OCEAN-SAR produces maps of high-probability search areas and the most probable drift trajectory.
OCEAN-SAR is a product of the TESSA project, created by:
- Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici (CMCC), responsible for the research activity, the computation of the search areas and the most probable drift trajectory
- Links S.p.A., responsible for the deployment of the DSS on the web